According to Reflexology, the feet are the center of the body, because all energy meridians flow through the feet and this is why the feet are used in acupuncture.
It is clear too, that when your feet hurt, the pain originates from some other parts of your body (e.g. from your calves, upper back or even hips)
The complexity of your feet is a reason why you can feel ache throughout the day. Having in mind that in a foot are thirty-eight bones, they and their connective tissue are vulnerable to excess stress. This part of the body has a lot of work to keep you moving every day and hold you up.
Feet are, also prone to swellings, ingrown toenails, nail fungus, corns, bunions, arthritis, athlete’s foot, and other conditions that cause the pain.
Thanks to a special care and attention you can keep your feet healthy and flexible, especially if you suffer from circulatory conditions or diabetes.
Ways of Keeping your Feet Strong
In this article below are six ways how you can stretch your feet in order to relieve pain and keep them in perfect shape.
- Ankle Stretch (starts at 0:45)
As your ankle and foot support each other, strengthening your ankles will enable them to work harder, as they are taking pressure off the feet.
– Starting position – sitting on the ground with your foot through the loop of a resistance band
– Bend your toes towards the ground.
– Stay in this position for a few seconds
– Return to the starting position.
– Repeat fifteen times.
- Rock Out
– Starting position – Stand up straight with your feet at shoulder’s width apart,
– Move your body weight to the outside of one foot.
– Gently rock to the other side, keeping your weight first on the outside, then the inside of each foot.
– Repeat ten times for each foot.
- Tennis Ball Rub
– Starting position – stand tall and use a chair or wall for extra support.
– Placing a tennis ball beneath the arch of one foot and roll the ball under the foot from heel to toe, putting a bit of weight on the foot
– Ball should be held in place at each tender spot for 15-30 release muscle tension.
– The number of reps – five times for each foot.
- Toe Lift (starts at 0:20)
– Starting position – Stand with your toes pointed upward, lowering just the big toe and hold.
– Return to the original position
– Repeat five times.
Note: In the case, you can’t press down the big toe, you can do it lowering just the pinky toe instead. The stretch also may be done from a sitting position as well.
- Toe Raise (starts at 0:15)
– Starting position – standing position with your feet firmly planted on the ground,
– Stretching your toes towards the ceiling, slowly lower to the floor.
– The number of reps – ten to fifteen times.
For getting more support or perform this stretch you can stand in front of a wall with your hands out in front of you while sitting down. For deeper stretches, lower your toes one at a time and start with your pinky toe.
- Toes and Fingers (starts at 0:20)
– Starting position – Sit in a chair with your feet flat on the floor
– Cross your right foot over your left leg
– Resting your thumb on the joint of your big toe place your finger in the spaces between your toes,
– Rock the toes back and forth.
Other Ways To Support Foot Health
1) Self-massage is very effective in loosening the tension in your feet. To increase the effects applying the calming essential oil (like lavender) can help you sleep.
2) An Epsom salt foot bath is soothing well and the salts (which aren’t really salt but minerals) are a great source of magnesium—a necessary nutrient that helps relax sore muscles.
3) Stat with the proper footwear instead of wearing high heels or flip flops
4) Practice walking barefoot in the grass in order to “Earthing” yourself.
How earthing works:
The electric signal from the Earth normalizes and stabilizes many biological systems and mechanisms.
5) Yoga, through the feet promotes gentle stretching and grounding of the body’s energy.
6) Chronic pain in your feet can be caused by the physiological problem.
For all who experience foot pain that just won’t go away, it is better to see a foot specialist and find out the root cause.