Broccoli belongs to the brassicas family, together with kale, cabbage, cauliflower, beets and golden beets. Broccoli has been used around 2000 years, but in recent times its consumption has increased a lot.
What does the broccoli contain?
One average broccoli contains:
– More C vitamin than an Orange
– Vitamin A in the form of Beta Carotene
– There are a lot of K vitamins.
– It is rich in fibers and phytochemicals
– Vitamins: B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9
Why do we recommend you eating broccoli?
- It Prevents Cancer!
As an organic food, broccoli can prevent many types of cancer such as breast cancer, prostate cancer, cervical cancer and cancer on the internal organs (liver, kidney and lungs).
The discovery of the researchers at “Johns Hopkins” University in the USA is that the ingredients in the broccoli not only prevent the development of cancer (60% of the researched groups), but they also reduce the developed cancer up to 75%. This ability of broccoli is due to the ingredients that it contains, which are some of the most powerful weapons in humanity’s war against cancer.
- It Helps When Trying to Reduce Excess Kilograms!
Many people, even don’t know that the broccoli has some power in the treatments of losing weight. Besides the fact that it has a few calories and it is easy to eat, the stomach requires a big amount of calories to digest it. This way, the broccoli, like the celery, is one of those foods that burn calories while digesting it. How fast the calories from broccoli are burned is amazing, only 5 minutes of walking or 2 minutes of running.
- It Strengthens the Immune System!
Thanks to the abundance of vitamins and minerals that the broccoli contains it is really good when in strengthening the immunity of the human’s body and, also in preventing numerous infections.
- It Prevents Heart Diseases!
Your heart will be healthier if you’re consuming broccoli because it develops the blood vessels making them more elastic. It increases the production of enzymes protecting the heart from numerous diseases and decreases the level of “Bad” cholesterol in your blood.
- It Takes Care of Your Skin!
Because it contains all the vitamins, which are good for your skin. It keeps your skin clean, shiny, and gentle. It can be usedfor rejuvenation and tanning of your skin.
- It Is Good Against Diabetes!
It contains a chrome concentrate, which has the function of reducing the sugar levels in the blood. Only 100 grams of broccoli (22 milligrams of chrome) can prove the daily need of chrome that for the diabetic’s organism is required (about 25 milligrams).
- Strengthens the Sight and It Protects the Eyes!
The beta-carotene, phosphor, vitamin A and the other vitamins such as B-complex, Vitamins E and C, contained in broccoli protect your sight. In addition, it is proven that broccoli can protect your eyes from UV 6.
- It Detoxifies the Organism!
Compounds, such the sulphur, vitamin C and some amino-acids in the broccoli, make them a great source for detox of your organism.
- It Helps with Tension and Stress
Consumption of broccoli can relieve tension and stress, and it is known that the broccoli is one of the best anti-stress vegetables.
- Which Parts of the Broccoli are edible?
Besides the flower of the broccoli, the stem and the leaves of the broccoli are also very rich in vitamins and minerals.
As the overall broccoli is edible and has the abilities mentioned above, it has a placement on the top on the list of medicinal vegetables.
In Which Ways Can the Broccoli Be Prepared?
When we know all benefits of the broccoli it is, also crucial to know how you can prepare it, because if you don’t prepare it right you may lose a big part of the nutritious values of the broccoli.
The broccoli should not be soft because in that way it loses a good portion of its vitamins, so they should be prepared semi-soft. The best way to prepare it is by steaming it because on that way it keeps all of the nutritious values. You can also boil it, bake it or fry it, but, you may also use it raw, in your fresh salads.
In the article bellow, we are going to present to you a great detox salad, simple and fast to prepare and it is so delicious.
Fresh Broccoli Salad- Recipe
– One clove of broccoli
– Two or Three radishes
– One cucumber
– Olive oil
– One lemon
– Himalayan salt
How to prepare it:
Boil the sliced broccoli on small pieces for a short period of time, and when it starts boiling you should let it cool. In a container combine the broccoli circles of the radishes and the cucumber is added seasoning (Himalayan salt, some olive oil and lemon).
Some Useful Tips!
1) You can find it through the whole year, but it is best to use it in winter.
2) Always buy broccoli which smells fresh, with a strong body, bigger pieces, with a dark green color. Avoid the broccoli which has yellow leaves.
3) Keep the broccoli in the fridge, don’t keep it in a plastic bag and wash it.
4) You can store it for up to five days.
5) You can boil the broccoli and keep it frozen up to one year.
6) Some people may face problems with their stomach when consuming broccoli, so they need to consume it in smaller amounts.